Nina Torr was born in Johannesburg in 1987. She obtained her BFA from the Parsons School of Design in New York in 2010, and has since held three solo exhibitions. Now based in Pretoria, Torr teaches illustration in the city’s Open Window Institute, and creates artworks in the blurry overlap between fine art and illustration.
The subjects she depicts seem to exist in similarly indistinct territory – imaginary, internal landscapes are populated with otherworldly figures and what Torr describes as “sad animals putting on brave faces”. Parallel worlds seem to have “lost track of time” and collided awkwardly; the result is a disorienting but enthralling medley of Biblical, mythological and historical imagery –inspired by old woodcuts and encyclopaedias, illuminated manuscripts, and amateur natural history illustrations.
In contrast to her somewhat apprehensive subject matter, Torr’s technique is anything but. She works mostly in ink and gouache and demonstrates impressive, resolute line work.
- 2017 The Way Back (with Allen Laing), 99 Loop, Cape Town
- 2016 The End of Something (with Ceramic Matters), In Toto, Johannesburg
- 2016 Still at Sea, 99 Loop, Cape Town
- 2014 Again & Again, In Toto, Johannesburg
- 2012 An Unnatural History, In Toto, Johannesburg
- 2012 Milk & Honey on the Other Side, Wolves, Johannesburg
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2017 Tiny, In Toto, Johannesburg
- 2017 Turbine Art Fair, with No End Contemporary, Johannesburg
- 2016 No End to This, No End Contemporary, Johannesburg
- 2016 Fin, Feather, Fur, In Toto, Johannesburg
- 2016 Vanitas, 99 Loop Gallery, Cape Town
- 2016 Oracle, Salon 91, Cape Town
- 2015 Stellar, Salon 91, Cape Town
- 2014 Menagerie, In Toto, Johannesburg